This crab salad is easy to put together and makes an elegant lunch dish if entertaining. It’s delicious and full of heart-healthy ingredients such as fresh vegetables, olive oil and avocado. Add two slices of whole grain bread or a small whole grain bagel for a balanced meal.
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) mirin (Mirin is a type of rice wine vinegar available at the grocery store.)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) frozen green peas
- 120 g canned chunk crabmeat
- 3 finely chopped green onions
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 small head radicchio
- ½-1 ripe avocado
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 lemon
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook the peas. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine the ginger, mirin, white wine vinegar, soy sauce and mix. Add the sesame and olive oil slowly while whisking until combined. Set dressing aside.
- Drain crab and squeeze out excess moisture. Add 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the peas and chopped green onion.
- For each salad: roughly chop half the radicchio and toss with 1 tsp (5 ml) of dressing. Arrange in bottom of bowl.
- Peel and slice up ¼-½ of the avocado and place on top of the salad. Arrange ½ the crab salad on top and sprinkle with the diced carrot.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon.