We all love Caesar salad, but less so all the fat it contains. So here is a lighter version that is equally delicious, so you can enjoy it more often. The secret? Replace the eggs and oil with plain probiotic yogurt, low-fat mayonnaise and just a small amount of prosciutto.
Caesar salad, reinvented
Preparation time: 10 minutes approx.
Cooking time: 10 to 20 minutes
- 3 slices of whole wheat bread (wheat, whole grain), cut into 2 cm cubes
- 5 tsp (25 ml) olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 thick slices of prosciutto, cut into big diced pieces
- 3 ½ tbsp l (52 ml) low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) plain unsweetened Activia yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 heads of Boston lettuce, shredded in big pieces
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) parmesan cheese, grated into big pieces
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread, olive oil and salt and mix until everything is well coated.
- In a non-stick skillet, brown the croutons over medium-high heat, turning periodically with a spatula to prevent burning. Cook for around 5 to 10 minutes (cooking time may vary depending on the stove) or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook the prosciutto over medium-high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and Dijon mustard with a whisk. Season to taste.
- Assemble the salad by mixing in a large bowl: the croutons, prosciutto, salad dressing and Boston lettuce. Grate over the Parmesan cheese and serve in bowls.