We all love Caesar salad, but less so all the fat it contains. So here is a lighter version that is equally delicious, so you can enjoy it more often. The secret? Replace the eggs and oil with plain probiotic yogurt, low-fat mayonnaise and just a small amount of prosciutto.
Caesar salad, reinvented
Preparation time: 10 minutes approx.
Cooking time: 10 to 20 minutes
- 3 slices of whole wheat bread (wheat, whole grain), cut into 2 cm cubes
- 5 tsp (25 ml) olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 thick slices of prosciutto, cut into big diced pieces
- 3 ½ tbsp l (52 ml) low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) plain unsweetened Activia yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 heads of Boston lettuce, shredded in big pieces
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) parmesan cheese, grated into big pieces
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread, olive oil and salt and mix until everything is well coated.
- In a non-stick skillet, brown the croutons over medium-high heat, turning periodically with a spatula to prevent burning. Cook for around 5 to 10 minutes (cooking time may vary depending on the stove) or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook the prosciutto over medium-high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and Dijon mustard with a whisk. Season to taste.
- Assemble the salad by mixing in a large bowl: the croutons, prosciutto, salad dressing and Boston lettuce. Grate over the Parmesan cheese and serve in bowls.
More salad recipes:
You should also read
1Red potatoes are great for a potato salad because they have a nice firm texture, plus they look beautiful, especially combined with this combination of fresh herbs. Potatoes with peel are high fibre and high... Read more
0This salad is best prepared an hour in advance so the vinaigrette can soak into the lentils and all the flavours can meld. It takes only 10 minutes to make with minimal cleanup. The lentils... Read more