Boy, do I love summer! The sun, the heat, the festive feeling in the air, the smiles on people’s faces and the delicious fruits and vegetables that are fresh and in-season. Ever since I was a wee one, berries have held a special place in my heart. I may not have been the most open-minded eater back then, but berries were always a hit in my book.
When I was little, I would go to my grandmother’s house in Charlevoix and we would pick delicious field strawberries and raspberries. Several years down the road, my mother would take us to pick wild blueberries under the hot August sun, on a site that was once destroyed by fire. The effort was well worth it, as the mini fruits we picked were finger-licking good.
And I haven’t stopped eating them since. Besides bringing back good memories, berries contain a number of essential nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, fibre and antioxidants. My taste buds, body and belly are all very happy! So today, I’d like to share with you a few of my favourite ways to eat them:
- In a sweet & sour sauce, to serve with barbecued meats.
- In a pie, for those with a sweet tooth.
- In a garden salad, to add colour and flavour.
- As a jam, to remind me of my grandmother’s tasty spread.
- With probiotic yogurt and granola, for a balanced breakfast.
- In a low-fat vinaigrette.
- In a refreshing smoothie, a summer classic.
- In a colourful fruit salad.
- On dessert crepes, garnished with a dollop of vanilla probiotic yogurt.
- With a chocolate fondue for the ultimate treat!
The benefit of eating several servings of fruits and vegetables per day is their fibre content, which promotes digestive health. I love fruits and vegetables period, but when I eat berries, I feel like I’m also really treating myself. For an even happier belly, I eat my berries with probiotic yogurt. On crepes, French toast or in a verrine, it’s always delightful!