Summer is the time to gather friends and family around the BBQ!
Whether you’re getting together at your house, at the cottage or at your friend’s place, any occasion is perfect to light up the trusty BBQ! Since I’m a relatively big eater and just love the taste of grilled food, I tend to go overboard at times. More often than not, this results in unfortunate digestive woes.
So I gave it some thought and came up with a few tips to enjoy BBQ season without compromising on our digestive comfort.
- Choose a lean cut of meat and marinate it for extra tenderness and juiciness.
- Use strong cheeses (blue, aged cheddar, parmesan…) to garnish your burgers. You won’t need as much per serving.
- Revisit the meat-vegetable ratio of your skewers. 2 times more vegetables than meat. Garnish your burger with veggies as well, for extra fibre.
- Opt for low-fat condiments: homemade salsa, mustard, tomatoes and/or mango, lettuce, onions, mushrooms, etc.
- For a balanced meal that’s high in fibre, serve your meat with whole-grain grain products, like a Scotch barley or brown rice salad.
- Opt regularly for low-fat meat substitutes, like fish, grilled tofu or homemade veggie patties.
- To avoid food poisoning (and the stomach woes associated with it), make sure cooked foods never come in contact with raw foods. Throw out any food that has sat out at room temperature for more than 1-2 hours.
I’d like to finish off this post with a treat you can have after dinner (if you’re still hungry) or as a snack on a sunny patio.
- Chunks of pineapple and banana
- Mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon
- Cubes of angel food cake
- Vanilla Activia yogurt
- Sprinkle the fruit with the brown sugar mixture. Grill lightly on the BBQ.
- In verrines, layer the cubes of cake, Activia yogurt and fruit. Repeat.
Bon appétit and happy summer!
You should also read
0Lowering your cholesterol comes down to embracing healthy habits that eventually become second nature. Like Pavlov’s dog who would start to salivate when the dinner bell rang, we can hone our reflexes to help us... Read more
1A Lassi is a yogurt drink from India that is perfect for quenching a thirst in hot weather. Simple to prepare, it is as nutritious as it is flavourful. It is also the perfect accompaniment... Read more