Probiotics are friendly bacteria that help our digestive systems and can also help our bodies’ natural defences to do their job. Here are five things you should know about the role of probiotics and how they can help you stay healthy:
- They can be found in some yogurts
- To have a positive effect on health, they must be consumed live and in sufficient quantity (the amount varies from one type of probiotic to another)
- They can improve bowel function, particularly in people whose digestive systems are slowing
- They can be found in certain yogurts that contain billions of beneficial probiotic bacteria, which can withstand the onslaught of gastric juices in the stomach
- They help good bacteria in the intestine to do their job and give them a boost when they are overloaded
- Probiotics stay in the body as long as you keep consuming them. You need to eat them regularly in order to benefit from their positive effect.
Because probiotics are living bacteria, they must enter the intestine live to have beneficial effects. Always make sure to keep products that contain probiotics at the recommended temperature.