With the advent of flavoured yogurts, we’ve gotten away from yogurt in its most “natural” state. Yet plain yogurt is an integral part of a varied and balanced diet. Some people associate it with childhood memories…my case, anyway, as my mom used to make it at home with a yogurt maker when I was little. Let’s rediscover this forgotten food together.
What are the benefits of plain yogurt?
- Plain yogurt contains no added sugar, only the milk’s natural sugar. So you’re free to add something sweet (maple syrup, honey, etc.) if you’d like. And you can keep better track of the sugar content of your desserts and snacks.
- Plain yogurt generally contains more calcium per serving. Calcium is essential for healthy bones and teeth.
- It’s the most versatile yogurt variety. Instead of just enjoying it for dessert or as a snack, you can use it when cooking sweet or salty dishes.
Here are a few ways to use plain yogurt regularly:
- Make your dips and vinaigrettes with plain yogurt.
- Add a spoonful of yogurt to your soup or chili for a creamy touch.
- Use plain yogurt when making chicken salad sandwiches.
- Garnish your crepes and French toast with plain yogurt, berries and a touch of maple syrup.
- Mix plain yogurt with a bit of homemade raspberry or strawberry jam for a lovely, fruity yogurt.
- Make a balanced breakfast with pieces of fruit, plain yogurt and granola.
- Add a bit of plain yogurt with probiotics to your favourite smoothie for a creamy texture and a happy belly.
You should also read
0As a nutritionist I like learning more about what I eat and what I suggest to clients. When Greek yogurt appeared on grocery shelves (and quickly landed in my shopping cart, of course!), I was... Read more
0The simplicity of this recipe will ensure you make it over and over during the hot summer (and avoid the temptation of ice cream). By starting with plain yogurt and adding your own sweetener you... Read more