Nothing says family dinner like roast chicken. This recipe uses a Greek yogurt marinade to let the flavours of lemon, herbs and smoked paprika shine and will also be a hit cold in salads—if you have any leftovers, that is!
- 1 whole organic roasting chicken
- ½ medium-sized Vidalia onion, cut in half
- 1 small handful fresh thyme
- 4 slices of lemon
- 500 g tub plain Oikos Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 gloves organic garlic, minced on a fine rasp
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) dried oregano
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) wood smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Sriracha hot sauce
- The zest of ½ a ripe lemon
- The juice of 1 ripe lemon
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) kosher salt
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) freshly cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Clean and trim the poultry if necessary and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season the cavity with salt and pepper and stuff with the onion, thyme and lemon. Place the chicken into a ceramic vessel.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine Oikos Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, oregano, smoked paprika, Sriracha sauce, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour over the chicken and work over the entire surface by hand. Place the dish into the fridge and allow it to marinate for 4 hours. Next, remove the chicken and discard the remaining marinade.
- Season the entire chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place the chicken into a preheated oven set to 425°F (220°C)
- Roast for 10 minutes and then turn the heat down to 350°F (180°C).
- Continue roasting the chicken for 1-1 ¼ hours until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 155°F (68°C).
- Remove the chicken and allow it to rest for 15 minutes before eating. Serve alongside simple potato dishes with a simple green salad.