Fresh and crunchy… All we could ever ask from a good salad. And if you combine it with a nice Greek-inspired tzatziki vinaigrette, it’s a real feast!
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) granulated white sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red wine vinegar
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced (in petals)
- 125 ml (1/2 t) Oikos plain Greek yogurt
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Greek olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 Lebanese cucumbers from Quebec, cut into thin wheels
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill, to taste (you can also combine it with fresh mint)
- In a small saucepan, make a marinade by combining the water, sugar and vinegar, and bringing to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and add the red onions. The onion marinade should ideally be prepared in advance. It will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
- For the salad, mix the yogurt and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add olive oil and garlic to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cucumber and mix well. Finish with the marinated onions and freshly chopped dill (with or without mint). Season as needed.