Want to impress your guests with a nice appetizer at your next dinner party? Try this amazing smoked salmon crostini!
Makes 26 hors d’oeuvres.
Cucumber and Oikos Yogurt Tzatziki with Greek Olive Oil and Lemon
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) Oikos Greek Yogurt
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and seeded—then brunoised
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) extra-virgin Greek olive oil
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 glove organic garlic, minced on a fine rasp
- The juice of ½ a fresh lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to tast
Greek Olive Oil and Garlic Crostini
- ½ quality artisanal baguette, sliced into 1 cm thick pieces—26 pcs.
- 2 gloves organic garlic, sliced paper thin
- Extra-virgin Greek olive oil, as needed
- Maldon salt to taste
Pickled Red Onion Rings
- 1 cup (250 ml) Greek red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) granulated white sugar
- 1 small organic red onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
For the Assembly
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) Greek wildflower honey
- 26 slices of the best wood smoked, wild-caught salmon
- 3 tbsp. (15 ml) finely chopped fresh chives
- 26 super fine capers
- Fresh dill as needed for garnish
- Extra-virgin Greek olive oil as needed for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine Oikos Greek yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, fresh dill, Sriracha sauce, garlic and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine well and reserve in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Lay the sliced baguette pieces (in a single layer) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place a single piece of garlic onto each slice of baguette. Drizzle the bread generously with olive oil and season lightly with Malden salt.
- Cover the baking sheet with another piece of parchment paper, and another baking sheet overtop—so as to keep the baguette’s pieces, flat and slightly weighted down.
- Place into a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 4 to 7 minutes until evenly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the finished crostini to cool completely on paper towel.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the onion rings and place the pot into the fridge until chilled.
For the Assembly
- Combine the mustard and honey in a small cup and mix using a basting brush.
- Gently brush each piece of smoked salmon with this mixture and then lightly sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Gently roll each piece into a loose rose-like shape.
- Place a small dollop of tzatziki onto each crostini, set a salmon rose onto each dollop.
- Top each with a piece of pickled red onion, a single caper and then garnish with a small bud of fresh dill and a few drops of Greek olive oil.