During pregnancy, our bodies change— which means our digestion does too. Expecting a baby is an exciting time in our lives, but it can also be uncomfortable at times. Common problems include heartburn, constipation, nausea and vomiting. Here are some suggestions for helping prevent or minimize these problems during pregnancy:
Suffering from nausea and vomiting?
- Choose foods that you enjoy but that you can also tolerate;
- Avoid food and drinks that have a strong smell;
- Eat several small meals a day and make sure you don’t skip meals or go hungry;
- Eat dry toast, dry cereal or crackers when you wake up in the morning;
- Make sure you get lots of fresh air.
Suffering from heartburn?
- Eat small, low-fat meals more often. For example, instead of eating three filling meals a day, opt for five light meals;
- Avoid coffee, fizzy drinks, alcohol and tobacco;
- Avoid fatty and spicy foods.
Suffering from constipation?
- Add fibre-rich foods to your diet;
- Eat lots of vegetables and fresh fruits (with peel) and add prunes if you need;
- Try to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to stay hydrated;
- Eat yogurts that contain probiotics.
These tips should help you avoid many of the problems associated with pregnancy outlined above. Eat smaller meals, drink plenty of water, add more fibre to your diet, eat probiotics, and get moving! Most importantly, make sure you enjoy this beautiful phase of your life when you’re carrying a life inside of you!
Read more tips from our interviews with Mommy bloggers:
You should also read
0It’s a darn good question and one we’ve all asked: Is it best to eat before or after a workout? And, once that’s sorted out, which foods are best? Most of us will experiment with... Read more
0Chewing is the first stage of digestion. It’s the start of a long journey food takes through the digestive system before being broken down into nutrients, to be absorbed to nourish our cells. Chewing serves... Read more